December 21, 2007

If you are 0% away from a goal, has the goal been attained?

I am really looking forward to the next 11 days that will be spent out of the office.

Why? Because I feel very deflated right now.

I'm in sales. Sales people are incentivized by awards, recognition and of course, money. We have an annual trip called "Pacesetter" which is essentially a Presidents Club, Circle of Distinction or President's Council. If you hit a certain number in your sales, then you win this trip or take the money if you can't go. Those who hit it are typically in the top 2-5% of the company and we have about 4,400 sales people.

Yeah that's great, right? Too bad I missed my Pacesetter goal by...........

Wait for it.


Oh wait for it longer......





0.001%


Yep, that's right. That percentage equates to 455 bucks in sales. Did I mention my average fee is $22,000 charged to the client?

A week in Cancun (or $5,000) out the door. The real shitty part? I've talked to so many recruiters in other offices who in the past were 4k short, 12k short and one who was even $68,000 short and their bosses still let them win this trip. My boss? Not so much. I'm $455 bucks short and he said "A goal is a goal". Yes, he's right. A goal IS a goal and I wouldn't even go on the trip anyway since I'm getting married in Mexico 2 months after the trip will take place. But I have worked my butt off and put a lot of money in his pocket in the process. I AM a Pacesetter, regardless of winning the title. I have been recruiting for nearly 5 years and I am ranked 3rd in my office against guys who have been in the business 3 times longer than I have. The guy who was ranked 4th has been recruiting for 14 years. My point: I've held my own and I'm just really, really disappointed right now.

I guess good wasn't good enough this year. So there ya have it. That is why I am so ready to forget this job for the next 11 days and just enjoy myself. I'll try not to think about the fact that I was 0% away from a goal but the goal was still not attained.

And in March of 2009, I WILL be on the beach in the Dominican Republic. You can betch'er sweet ass on that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That really, really sucks! :(

If it's any consolation, Geo says he'd pretend to be a client and pay the $455.

Deanna said...

Awww thats so sweet!

My friend Skip DID do that. He sent in a check for 500 bucks to the office over the holidays. Unfortunately, one of my clients forgot to submit an invoice so their check of 19k didn't come until the first week of January....boooo!!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Directory