September 17, 2007

Muncie???

Happy Monday to ya!


Brian and I headed back to my hometown of Cleveland this weekend for a wedding. We had a great time and everything was beautifully done and totally classy. The groom is a friend of mine from childhood; our parents were good friends and I used to babysit his little sisters. Talk about feeling old! These two little girls are now grown adults.....and I used to change their diapers!

We had some time to stop and visit my Grandma and also crashed my cousin's son's 3rd Birthday Party. It was nice to see some of the fam!

So while we were home, one of my family members probed Brian and I about our upcoming wedding in Mexico. The question was asked, "Why Mexico? Why not Chicago or Cleveland?" Brian responded to the question very politely by explaining that aside from both us wanting a beach wedding, it doesn't seem fair to one family to have it in one town, while the other family has to travel (He's from Chicago, I'm from Cleveland). This way, both families will be jumping on a plane for a quick 3 hour flight to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.

Secondly, if we got married in Chicago, we'd be looking at costs that would easily be 10x what we'll spend in Mexico. Thirdly, destination weddings are much easier. I don't have to worry about 75% of the details of the planning until we arrive that week.

Then the second question came from the same family member: "Why not do it in the middle? Like in Muncie, Indiana?" While my blood started to boil, I simply explained that I was not interested in getting married in Indiana.

But what I WANTED TO SAY was (yeah, you know this was coming):

"Have you met me? Do I SEEM like the kind of person who would get married in Muncie? (no offense to the city of Muncie, of course). Here's a newsflash: we are not getting married in Muncie, because this is OUR wedding. Getting married in Mexico is what WE want to do. We WANT to get married on a beach by the ocean. We are getting married for US, not for YOU. If we got married in Indiana, then it would be YOUR wedding, not OURS. If you would like to join us in Mexico, then we'd love to have you. If not, then we completely understand and you can CHOOSE not to come and celebrate with us and we'll gladly send you pictures."

It might seem selfish, but honestly, this is about Brian and me. This is not, "Let's bend over backwards for our family and friends and do what they want us to do to make it easier on them. " Sorry. It's about US and what makes US happy. And by the way, we are paying for our entire wedding; we are not asking either family for help foot the bill. If we did, then maybe they'd have some say in this. We are inviting over 135 people and are expecting about 50-60 in Mexico. There is absolutely NO way possible to please everyone and we are okay with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When we were planning our wedding we found that even though we were planning everything down to the napkins, it ended up being do you think everyone else will like them? Even though we were doing all the work it would end up being more about everybody else instead of our day of celebration. If I could do it again, I would do smaller, more personal and more about us.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Directory