September 23, 2007

Sunday morning fun

I had to go back to the doc's office this morning for my 3rd FSH test. It was tough getting up after an evening of dinner and drinks with friends, but I survived.

Since the lab at Northwestern allows such a generous window of time on the weekends (8:00 am to 8:30 am), I arrived in the office promptly at 8:03 to pick up my paperwork to take to the lab. What I found was a bit of a surprise and that was 11 people in front of me waiting in line. Yes, ELEVEN people waiting at the counter of the Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility office at 8 am on a Sunday morning.

Is it just me or is that sorta sad? For the woman behind the counter, this was just another day.

"What do you need, ma'am?"
"Ultrasound"
Handing her a paper, "Here you go. 2nd door on the right down the hall."
"Ma'am, what can I do for you?"
"IVF"
"Have a seat in the lobby and we'll call you."
"Sir?"
He bashfully holds a cup in his hand and makes eye contact with her. Obviously, words are not needed.
"Down the hall to the 3rd door on the left."
"Ma'am?"
"Labwork".
"Take this to the other side of the hall and take a number."

Wow. I mean, WOW! It was definitely an eye-opening experience for me. Last time I had to go in on a Sunday I arrived around 8:20 and there were only a few people there. I guess all the excitement happens promptly at 8 am when the joint opens. I left the office having a heavy heart and a glimpse of hope at the same time. I guess I felt happy that I was probably the youngest one in that office and I am going through the recommended steps to not be in their shoes one day. But then, I was sad for those men and women. You know they've felt heart ache as they've tried to conceive unsuccessfully. You know they've felt desperate at times and have wondered if "it" will ever happen. Aside from the disappointment and undoubted pain they've experienced, it was easy to see one thing in their eyes. Hope. I could see that they were not ready to give up. I could see that they were hoping that THIS trip to the doctor's office might do the trick.

Tonight, I will say a little prayer for those people in the reproductive office today. I will also say a little prayer that I don't have to walk a mile in their shoes.

Keep your fingers crossed for a low FSH level when my results come back tomorrow!

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Directory