September 6, 2007

Geriatrics?

So the first time I went into my new Primary Care Physican's office at Northwestern, I was a bit creeped out. When he walked in he made some polite converstion, asked a few questions about my medical history and then asked me if I had a regular ob/gyn followed by, "Do you need a pap smear or are you current?" Oh, did i mention he's 6'5" and not a day over 30??

"I'm current!", I practically shouted with my legs tightly crossed. I mean, who wants a guy down there younger than me poking around? No, thank you! I'd prefer a 60 year old man or woman who have seen at least a million va-jay-jay's before mine....not some kid right out of college who is still getting his {ahem} speculum wet (pun intended).


So the other day when I was waiting in Dr. Lavery's office I decided to peruse the little bio that was printed and hanging on the wall about him.

Turns out my new PCP specializes in Geriatric Medicine.

Grrrrreat. Just my luck. How in the hell did I miss this the first time?

So can someone please share with me why he asked if I needed a Pap smear? Ummm, wait. On second thought, let's not speculate.

1 comment:

Bethie said...

My first appointment (ever) was much more random, not only was this guy about 80, he also looked like Bunson Honeydew from the Muppets! Then partway through the exam it got even more weird because I found out it was the same ob/gyn that my mother had gone to when she was preggers with me...this was the doctor that DELIVERED ME!! The worst part was that while my feet were in the stirups he remembered the name and asked if I was Gail's (my mom) daughter!! Too weird. I found a new one right quick!

 
Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Directory