November 12, 2007

What are you thankful for?

So my Grandma has been hosting Thanksgiving Dinner every year for 67 years. This year, I'm sad to say that we will not be enjoying our turkey feast at my Gram's house. She has been suffering from some very horrible chronic pain in her hips for the past several weeks, causing her to have to use a walker.

Now what you don't know is that my Gram is a very strong woman. She's a very active person and insists on doing everything for herself, albeit she turned 88 years young this past August. She still lives in, and takes care of, the same home that my Mom and her siblings grew up in. This superwoman still swims a mile a day every day that her pool is open when the weather will allow it. She really is simply amazing and I adore the time I get to spend with her and listen to the stories of her life....during a time that was before the freeways were paved in northern Ohio, before she gave birth to five children, before they started a very successful tool shop, before my Grandpa died of lung cancer. I love to listen to her stories and hear all about her upbringing.

This will be a very difficult change for everyone in my family as we have been enjoying this holiday together in the same house since before many of us were even born.

The lesson here is to truly be grateful for our loved ones. Be grateful that even though we will be in our own respective homes for Thanksgiving, our Grandma is still with us. Be grateful for the therapy that she is enduring and hope that it will help her get back to her self-sufficient ways soon enough. Let's not be sad that we won't be together, but let's be grateful for the new memories that we will create on this day.

I am grateful for my cousin, Danny. Danny lives in Los Angeles and works in the entertainment industry. This past weekend he traveled back to Cleveland and visited my Grandma, my Mom and all of my Grandma's kids with a professional videographer in tow. He interviewed each one about their upbringing for what we can only guess will be some sort of Christmas gift for my Grandma. I can't wait to see this video and hear all of my aunt and uncles stories about their childhood and growing up under my Grandma and Grandpa's roof.

I am especially grateful for my Mom who will be throwing me a bridal shower while I am home during this trip. Even though I won't be able to see all of my family during this time, I will be lucky enough to see most of them at my bridal shower. And even though she doesn't read this blog, I want send a big Thank You out to my Mom!! I love you!

Don't forget to give Thanks for those who are meaningful to you during this holiday season.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Directory