September 10, 2007

Let's Give Thanks


I started a women's networking group 2 and a half years ago and it's grown to a lovely group of about 65 women. We get together once a month and do fun things in the city.....wine tastings, purse making parties, boat tours, sex toy parties, jewelry making, etc. Smetimes we put on a more serious face and do charity work or have seminars on real estate, finance and life, in general.

On Friday night, a small group of the girl's from 2nd Wednesdays (that's the name of the group) got together and invited me out to dinner. I found out ahead of time that this dinner was to sort of honor me {blushing}. They wanted to thank me for hosting and planning meeting after meeting (I finally wised up after 24 meetings and delegated and now everyone helps out).

Can I just tell you how nice it was to have these girls do this? They took me out to a very nice restaurant called Flatwater that was right on the river. We dined on the river and enjoyed a few bottles of wine. One of my friends, Jen, actually wrote a poem for the occasion that was hilarious and uber-sweet. They all pitched in and even got me a bottle of Sex and the City perfume because they say I remind them of Carrie from SITC. How freakin' nice was all of this? VERY FREAKIN' NICE! I am so lucky to have people like this in my life and it served as a good reminder that I need to thank those people in my life who go above and beyond more often because it feels damn good.

The group comes with it's share of headaches {I mean, 65 women equals 130 opinions, right?} but in the end, I adore the women involved and I'm completely grateful for the deep bonds that have been created between us. And, hey, we have a ton of fun!!

Girls, if you are reading this....YOU ROCK! You really, really do!! :)

Here is Jen's poem, in case you wanna chuckle:

The time was January of 2005
When a brilliant idea started coming alive.

Our heroine Deanna said “I know so many girls who are great,”
“Let’s all get together. We just need to pick a date”

Of course you know that 2nd Wednesdays was born
Although of her free time, Deanna began to mourn.

Seminars, movie nights, and “toy” parties, too
Sending emails, writing recaps – it’s so much to do!

Deanna, we want you to know how thankful we are
For all that you do, you’re really a star.

At meetings you host, everything’s so nicely made
(And on top of it all, this girl can throw a grenade!)

Honestly, without you, where would we be?
(Thinking we meet on Tuesdays, that’s what I see!)

This group would not exist and we would truly be off-kilter
If not for our friend - the girl without a filter.

1 comment:

Chanthana said...

D - you really do rock! I wish I could have been there instead of delayed for 3 hours in Cleveland. See you soon. Much love - C

 
Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Directory